Tuesday, February 21, 2012

On the humble suppressor

Walther P22 with Silencerco Sparrow
I've used suppressors in the military and frankly wish they were more widely adopted in the service, and in civilian use.  Some may hear that and think we were running around doing assassinations.  The truth is much simpler and much less exciting.  More often than not they were employed dispatching feral dogs posing a threat to self, team, or mission and to protect working dogs (MWD) and sometimes for hitting street lights too even.  Splinter Cell fans rejoice...  For the actual sniper community I saw them as vital.  If you have ever fired a weapon in an enclosed space, you'll know it sucks for everyone present, and we don't want friendly snipers giving their positions up.  This is also where suppressor's are good for those going into CQB type situations, the reduced noise makes communications simpler, fire becomes less distracting and anything 'loud' is obviously not on your side.  So what about civilian usage?

Wartime is one thing, not every soldier needs a suppressor, they are costly and though I would like wider adoption, I understand they just aren't necessary for everyone.  Unless you are running a CQBR/Mk18 10.3" barrel, having a suppressor makes for a slightly longer weapon.  Some complain the M4 is too long as it is.  I did like the CQBR because it was very maneuverable and light (until a EOTech, ATPIAL laser, and weapon light were strapped on).  For guy's who are primarily running a machine gun, doing CQB, or doing vehicle ops the CQBR made sense.  Not many want to admit that the shorter barrel equates to reduced potential lethality.  For the guy's still running full length M16's, a suppressor makes your weapon a touch longer than the M1 Garand.  But I'm getting off topic...

So back to civilian usage.  I think the people that aren't familiar with them see them as unneeded and give them a bad-guy boogey-man image.  This is usually the same 'Guns-are-bad and nobody-needs-them' people.  Brady Campaign, CSGV, DoJ...  I also believe the average person believes they are illegal to own or purchase.  I know plenty of guys in the service who mistakenly believe you need to have a FFL Class 3 permit to possess one as a private citizen.  If you can own a firearm legally, in most places you can own a suppressor too.  NRA says only 11 states prohibit them, 12 if you include D.C.  There is a little paperwork hassle, wait time, and a $200 Tax-Stamp for each NFA device.  If you sell or give it to anyone else they need to pay that $200 again for the transfer but I'll get into that later on down.

Hunters often go without hearing protection, because in order to effectively hunt, they need to hear their prey.  Many hunter's are causing their own hearing loss as a trade-off.  Georgia has a bill in their State Senate seeking to legalize suppressors for hunting as a hearing protection measure.  I'm hopeful other states will take the cue and follow their lead.  What's so bad about hearing protection?  In the service a lot of guy's will go bat-shit on you if you show up to weapons training without eye and ear protection.  Many civilian range's demand the same.  When I was a child running around in the wilds being a boy, I often heard the loud report from hunters miles off taking their shot.  It never bothered me personally but I heard complaints often. My logic then is neighbor's can't complain about what they don't hear.  My own hearing has been messed up enough from proximity to machine gun fire in the service, I want to prevent that from getting any worse any way I can.  I'm adamant about ear protection.

Then there is the new shooter.  I've taken a few females to the range, either because they were interested, excited, seeking training, or just looking to overcome their fears.  I see it all the time, a new shooter will be on the line, and the next lane shoots, and the new shooter jumps every time a shot is fired.  I've had guys do it too.  Hell, I still startle from time to time still, blame PTSD or whatever you like.  I KNOW that can be distracting and even off-putting to new shooters.  I've seen recoil/muzzle blast anticipation.  I've seen the tensing and desire to look away as they pull the trigger.  And I have to ease them into getting over it.  A suppressor would make that a much smoother process.  Shoot quiet.  It's not so bad, now let's take the training wheels off...

I myself will soon begin the process of acquiring at least one.  But deep down, I know that once I do, I will likely seek another.  I want one because I think they're cool, and because legally I can, and because I like quiet.  I want to exercise my right and encourage others to do the same.  You might be into getting tattoos, I'm into firearms.

My route of obtaining one will decidedly be by establishing a legal trust.  If I were to attempt to purchase as a private citizen, I need to submit fingerprints, photos, and go talk to the local Sheriff or Chief of Police for permission.  Though a pain in the ass this is agreeable and doable by me.  However, I eliminate those steps by establishing a trust.  My reason for side-stepping that process is simple.  I can place my girlfriend Grace, and others I have confidence in on the trust as trustees.  Which means if something happens to me (I am active-duty and combat oriented) they can legally take ownership of the suppressor without needing to pay another $200 to transfer to them.  Also, if my girlfriend were to decide to take the suppressor to the range for some plinking and happened to be pulled over, she could be charged with unlawful possession without that trust naming her.  When I deploy, I have to leave my weapons behind and I'd like to leave them in the hands of someone legally.  I urge you to consider the trust method and naming your immediate loved ones for sake of compliance to the laws if you are considering a purchase like me.

Just as an aside...So there is a guy who made a adapter for regular oil filters to be threaded on for use as a suppressor.  He did it legally as an FFL manufacturer to my knowledge, but still, I gotta hand it to him.  It's funny.  I know there is plenty of literature on the net about making home-built suppressors but I urge you to not risk the penalties of being caught doing so.  You will be charged with a felony and lose your 2nd amendment rights to ever own a weapon again.  Don't do it.


For further reading I suggest the following:
Places Prohibiting Suppressor Ownership:
  1. California (no surprise there...)
  2. Illinois
  3. New York
  4. New Jersey
  5. Rhode Island
  6. Vermont
  7. Massachusetts
  8. Washington, D.C.
  9. Delaware
  10. Hawaii
  11. Minnesota
  12. Iowa

1 comment:

  1. Suppressors are just as legal as guns. It does have a lot of practical purposes. We do not have to demonize the use of silencers but instead we have to educate people about how we can use suppressors for personal protection, hearing protection, increased accuracy and most importantly to save lives.

    assault rifle ga

    ReplyDelete