Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Blackhawk! Serpa Holsters

I have seen a growing wave of very serious hatred elsewhere on the net regarding the Blackhawk! Serpa line of holsters, the latest via Say Uncle (here) where an instructor says no more Serpa's in class (unless modded/ruined).  I am military, and have been issued several of the CQC Concealment variant.  I've even bought one for my own Glock.  I have utilized it chest-mounted overseas while sitting in a turret, thigh strapped (I dislike this method), and most preferred, mounted on an extension to my battle belt so it rides below my armor.  I have trained extensively with this holster system, and so have my brothers-in-arms.  I have never witnessed a single incident in our thousands of rounds, and hundreds of hours of training.  I'm not saying it hasn't happened elsewhere because it most certainly has.  Let me dive into my take on this matter...

What's happening in my minds eye to cause ND's?  Persons are using a 'press' on the retention latch as they draw, likely hooking the finger like a bow so the front of the finger is pushing in, so there is finger pressure likely to slide into the trigger during the draw.  The retention release spring on all 4 of my holsters is very light.  In my release, the part of my finger hitting the toggle is the last joint and almost second joint in my finger.  Even if I apply moderate pressure in that position my finger lands on the frame and forward-most trigger guard.  If I 'press' directly with my finger tip (bowing finger) with any pressure, it almost always slips into the trigger.

Understanding the holster, and a proper draw stroke with it are critically important.  I can't blame Blackhawk! for the design, it works when used properly, and I never saw it fail to retain a weapon even under the worst of conditions.  I can, and will, blame lack of or improper training.   Apparently the original source of discussion/discourse came after Tex Grebner shot himself using a 1911 in a Serpa.  He himself doesn't blame the holster.  It looked to me like he was tense and rushed his draw stroke.

GearScout did a piece referring to some issues of foreign objects getting behind the toggle and jamming it, preventing the ability to draw the weapon.

The link that Say Uncle referred to basically says to rip out the retention toggle and tighten the screw for squeeze retention.  I prefer the weapon actively be 'locked' in, but I find that method a constructive compromise for those worried about the issue with the holster.  If you do have an issue, get a different holster or train to use what you have properly.  Personally, I see nothing wrong in the Serpa but I have heard great things about Raven Concealment and Blade-Tech. I've been thinking hard about a slimmer profile holster either OWB or IWB.

No comments:

Post a Comment