Sunday, February 26, 2012

Excercising ALL your rights

I saw a link via Say Uncle pointing to this post, 'Never agree to police search'.  I mentioned in my last post, I strive to stay right by the law and I'm also in Washington D.C. where I have no right to defend myself with a handgun, despite area violence being routine.  So I'm thinking about rights tonight I suppose.  Some highly suggested videos after the jump and commentary.



I hold my 2nd amendment rights in high-regard and I get nervous about the anti's that want to enact wild gun control laws because those laws are attacking my profession, my knowledge, my hobby, and my free choice.  I tend to oppose anyone taking away anothers ability to make choices for themselves.  I don't tell you how to run your life, and don't need you to tell me how to run mine.  Easy.

So as watchful as I am of 2nd amendment rights, I know I need to be watchful of the others as well.  SOPA/PIPA and some other dumb bills aimed at stopping online piracy posed a threat to our 1st amendment rights.  We all should have been howling.  If some copyright holder so much as uttered an offense at your site infringing on their property, the gov could have your site shuttered.  Free speech is vital, and some of those 'anti-piracy' bills can sneak attack our basic rights in ways you may not foresee at first glance.  DMCA caused a stink, and made it illegal to take down and reverse-engineer some products to make improvements/modifications.  Could you imagine what would happen if Colt or Browning patents prevented us from using anything after-market in our AR-15's and 1911's?  I'm making a stretch here, but it's just some thought.

Check the original link above regarding our 4th amendment for search and seizure.  I know there are plenty of the mentality that 'if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear'.  It's a right for a reason, use it.  Another stretch, but how would you feel about the police doing a random unscheduled 'safety' check on your home?  Whenever they felt, say, 4am?  Maybe at whatever time you need to leave for work?  You might not have anything to hide, but it's still your time and hassle.

I'm happy to report that on the 5th amendment front, it seems a court has upheld a persons right to not be forced to tell anyone their encryption password.  I always thought that if it was in my head, no one could force me to tell...  I hate that a sleaze might get off the hook, but a right is a right, we aren't supposed to break them for special case's.

And finally, and this is my grand finale on this post, I present some video shot some time ago right in my town of Virginia Beach by a Regent law professor and Virginia Beach Police Department detective spelling out the case for shutting your mouth and getting a lawyer, even if you're a good guy.  Please watch!


No comments:

Post a Comment