Thursday, July 4, 2013

News... and Happy Independence Day!

Washingon crossing the Delaware River
So...It has been longer than a year since my last post here.  So much has happened and changed.  I had a deployment of my detachment, now returned.  All were safe and whole, only injuries sustained were from being the rowdy bunch they are.  They still have some post-deployment hurdles to meet however with the command change and mergers.

I've been slipped into a new military project that has devoured an enormous amount of my time.  It's just me and a select group of other choice individuals.  12 of us in all, and thankfully we all know each other from previous work (mostly) so we've become very family-like in our endeavours.  We just had a major set-back yesterday (No fault of our own! Contractors and Engineers...) that may allow us some room to recoup, reform, and breathe.  I'm committed to this thing until 2016 at a minimum.  It's early but so very busy already, and we expect the pressure to continually ramp up.  Sorry I can't go into much detail here, maybe later on.

As if that wasn't enough, I've had a personal setback that I'm just getting back up from.  Due to an accident, I've suffered a broken neck.  It's been over 3 months now and I'm still in more pain than I feel I should be.  There were some nerve damage concerns early on that seem to have resolved thankfully.  I'm finally out of the brace and allowed to drive but that's been a bit of a challenge.  I've had to play desk-jockey for a bit at work, and I've been chomping at the bit to get back to doing what I do.  I have to remind myself constantly to take this slow and easy and not rush it, but there's that part of me that refuses to listen to reason.

And for the best news of all of it...I've got a baby on the way!  We are expecting for late December or early January.  I'm terrified!  I want to do the best I can, and want to be there when I'm needed.  I have military obligations that demand attention first and I know that's going to be difficult for us.  I always planned to have kids AFTER the military but I've since realized that there's no better time than now, it won't get easier by waiting.

Hit the jump for more about the painting and the crossing.




All said, now for that painting.  It is in the Chrysler Museum of Art currently and as everyone should know it depicts the crossing of the Delaware River by Gen. Washington.  This was done by George Caleb Bingham in 1856-71.  He was a fellow Virginian and was inspired to paint this particular subject by Emanuel Leutze's more famous version.

Around the time leading to the famous crossing, Washington and his men were near collapse.  Washington had already read the Declaration of Independence to his men and surely meant to gain it or death.  British Lord Howe had pushed Washington out of New York, and he missed an opportunity to crush what was left of Washington's forces.  Washington managed to sneak away with his forces intact over one night while under siege.

Later Lord Howe again came close to defeating Washington's forces, but they again managed to break away.  Subsequently, Lord Cornwallis pursued his forces and pushed them back across the Delaware as winter set in.

Washington's forces were dwindling, and they had been retreating at every turn it seemed.  I think he had enough of it and wanted to draw blood, to show that they were a serious force and meant to do whatever was needed to regain the offensive.  The plan called for crossing on Christmas day once it was dark enough to move with any freedom of observation.  On the morning of the 26th, the encamped Hessian forces were set on.  They had heard reports of an imminent attack and actually expected it despite the secrecy in Washington's planning.  Even still, Washington and his forces prevailed and won a victory.

The key piece wasn't the victory in itself, but it was the gaining of confidence to cause.  The news spread of the victory, and cheered more people on to defeating the British.  Washington won a psychological victory more than a tactical one.  Colonials were given a hope and a hardness to winning the fight even against superior forces, which I believe survives to this day.  Happy Independence Day everyone, please reflect on what it meant for our great nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment